Saturday, April 17, 2010

A Sad Day for Shaw @ Garnet-Patterson, DCPS

I decided to read the Post before bed and I was so sad to read about Principal Brian Betts' murder.

About two months ago, I got off the U Street metro stop and headed to Shaw @ Garnet-Patterson for my DCTF interview. I was so excited and I thought that U Street was adorable. Upon entering Shaw, I noticed that the walls were covered in graphs that showed increases in progress for every class as well as pictures of outstanding students. I really enjoyed my day at Shaw, but I didn't realize its uniqueness until I later read that students had actually petitioned to stay at the school for one more year.

I knew that this school had something right.

It broke my heart to find out that their inspiring and innovative principal was found dead in his Silver Spring home yesterday. He was changing the culture of the school, though he was only at it for two years. DCPS needs more people like Mr. Betts. I imagine that come Monday the entire school body will be heartbroken, but I can only hope that they will continue their journey to become a better school.

No comments:

Post a Comment