Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Dear School I Work At,

Sometimes I so badly want to abandon you. You are an old school building; you remind me of a bomb shelter from the World War era. Your classrooms are oddly shaped, your exterior is dowdy, your courtyard is full of weeds, and the paint color of your bathrooms probably couldn't be much more unattractive. Furthermore, your desks are outfitted for elementary school children, your heating and cooling are ancient, your stairwells too small, your lockers too easily jammed, your lights automatic so people don't feel the need to turn them off on their own, and your bathroom sinks are poorly designed. You are not fit for the large population that travels within you every school day.

But, I know all you really need is a little bit of love. Your bathrooms could use a fresh coat of paint, your hallway decorations could be updated for personalization and your courtyard needs some flowers. I said during my Chicago Teaching Fellows interview that I didn't believe we needed supplies, really, to teach (except for science, perhaps). I still believe this, so the fact that you are a school building in desperate need of TLC, does not bother me much. I want to help make you over and give both students and staff a pride in the school we operate in, but I haven't receive much of any support from the higher-ups. The point is, though you are not the best that you could be, you are not my biggest gripe.

Dear Children I Work With,

Sometimes (often), I don't want to come to teach and work with you. It can get frustrating that I plan and prepare lessons, but you all talk over me or don't talk at all. However, you all are the most pleasant part of my day and for that, I am thankful. I am thankful that I know that I love working with students and that I want to do it as a career. Even if I don't stay in this profession forever, let it be known that I think that this is the single most influential profession in the world. Except for maybe a tyrant who makes all decisions, and quickly. (When will there be a tyrant who dedicates large sums of money to developing education and not firearms?) Anyway, what I'm saying is, kids, we have our good and bad days, but there are definitely more good and even when you all are at your annoyingest, I still feel grateful for every single one of you. I feel very lucky to have taught you all this year and I appreciate each one of you in different ways. Please know that I don't dread work because of you. I come to work because of you. I want to see you all grow as much as possible before you graduate and I have so much that I want to share with you all. You are certainly the reason that I come to work. And certainly the reason that I enjoy it.

Dear Readers (or Reader!),

Sometimes, I want to leave my school. But it's not the school's fault. And it's not the students' fault, either. You've heard me complain about this before, but it's time for me to get it out again. Before I do though, let me say: POTENTIAL TEACHERS, if you are thinking about going through alternative certification or teacher certification in general, (and if you have no other doubts besides whether or not it'll be worth it) I say, DO IT. This has been an immense year of growing for me. I have never learned so much before about others or myself. This experience is GREAT. Prepare yourselves, though, the toughest part of working in a lower performing school (and maybe even higher performing schools)/working in PGCPS is the adults. The children, well, they'll be children. They are only partly responsible for the horrors that they can be. Often, they are good kids though. However, adults should have no excuses for the way they act and treat people. If you can, find a supportive school to work in. It's so important.

And onto my rant. It's 3 am, so I'm going to make this quick and possibly confusing so I can get to bed.

Last month, I was called up to my vice principal's office during my co-teaching (which, please later note, is reiterated as a place I need to be present). I was expecting to meet with my vice principals, but during my planning period. We had been exchanging emails prior to this meeting. She had expressed concern for my being on time to school, begin on time to co-teaching, being at co-teaching, and being on my post of duty. Another vice principal was also present at this meeting, though she didn't make many comments. The "main" vice principal of this conversation said that she was in my co-teaching 15 minutes after it had started and that I had not yet arrived. That particular day, I knew that I had arrived about 10 minutes after the bell. She continued by saying that my students were not receiving their services since I was not present. I replied to the email by saying that I am not regularly late to school, I never skip co-teaching, and that I was told that I did not have "duty" as I have a portable classroom (outside) and that is what my principal shared with me at the beginning of the school year.

Let's start with co-teaching. My vice principals said two things: 1. I am often significantly late to co-teaching and 2. Sometimes, I skip co-teaching. I agreed that I usually arrive to co-teaching about 5 to 10 minutes after the bell has rung and acknowledged that I should be getting there more promptly after the ringing of the bell. However, I rejected the statement that I skip co-teaching classes. I have never, ever skipped co-teaching without permission. (SPED teachers at my school are allowed to have off co-teaching on pay day Fridays in order to complete pertinent SPED paper work.) Though I previously took off pay week Wednesdays instead of Fridays, because I like to end the week with my students, I later only took pay day Fridays off because it was stated that Fridays were the only acceptable off day. Our vice principal said that this way, she could know to send a sub to stand in for us in co-teaching. To my knowledge, this doesn't actually happen. Despite stating that I never skip co-teaching, my vice principals insisted that I do. Let's please remember that this meeting is going on during my oh-so important co-teaching MOD!

Moving onto getting to school on time. Yes, I am late sometimes. Usually when I am late, I arrive no later than 9:05 AM, five minutes after duty time has begun. The days that this lateness occurs, there is unusually high traffic on 95 South and I leave at the same time pretty much every day. Anyway, I am not regularly or often late. And certainly not more so than any other teacher at my school. Since the meeting (about three weeks ago), I have noticed that I have been earlier than 2 of my 4 administrators every single day, except for two. I fully accept that I need to work harder to be on time as much as humanly possible (but life does happen every now and then). What is the kicker for me, though, is that my vice principal was basing her opinion on my arrival time on her observations of me from her office window. (She is located on the second floor, I am outside on the first floor; however, she can only see my room and not my parking space and not the school doors that I enter/exit from.) She stated that after 9 AM she will look out the window and see me arriving to school. ...or what looks like arriving to school. What exactly constitutes as someone looking like they are arriving to school? Carrying a school bag? I carry that around all morning. Having a sweater or a jacket on? It's cold sometimes. I felt that this method of judgment was highly subjective and unfair. Furthermore, once previously she had voiced a concern with me getting to school on time for a particular day. She stated that she had looked out to my room and did not see me in the window (= me being late). That day, I arrived 30 minutes ahead of duty time and -shocking, I know- was inside the school making copies.

Finally, we discussed being on duty where teachers stand outside of their classroom to monitor children. During the first few days (maybe even weeks) of school, I stood duty outside of my room. However, I noticed that the other teachers were not doing the same. I asked my principal if teachers in temps were supposed to stand duty. He said no because it gets cold outside. I stopped standing duty for this reason. My vice principals stated that they did not believe that my principal would say such a thing. They continued to say that I do not appear to care about the safety of the kids because I am not on duty. I voiced that I would be on duty, but I thought that I didn't need to be. They rebutted by saying: "We didn't know that we had to tell you where you needed to be, every minute of every day..." Look, had I not been blatantly told that I didn't have post of duty, I would be on my post of duty.

After this long conversation, which ate away at over 20 minutes of co-teaching, my vice principal went onto say that along with these concerns, she has seen my lessons (through formal observations) and didn't think that this was the job for me. She asked me what program I was in and advised me to contact the program staff to ask for other options I could seek for next year.

This is when I started to cry. I have spent countless hours working on school materials and poring over the students' progress and behavior. I love teaching my kids. I feel that I'm good at it and that I want to do this for a long time. Previously, I felt that she was focusing on my timeliness (though in a questionable way, because it didn't appear that there was any objective records taken), but now she was attacking my instruction and passion for teaching.

Forward to present time and my wonderful mentor suggested that we meet with my vice principal in order to discuss how I should go about recording and documenting my timeliness. I care about what I do and want to be able to display that by taking corrective and proactive actions. My vice principal responded to the idea for discussion with a no. She said that she didn't have the time to repeatedly revisit past issues with me and that it was my professionalism, not my instruction, that was being attacked. I was boggled. My vice principal told me that through observations, along with these other issues, teaching was not for me. How is that not an attack on my instruction? Anyway, she said that she and the other vice principal will handle the monitoring of my timeliness. How are they to do this when I arrive to school before them and park in a different lot? Shouldn't I somehow be involved in keeping these records and being knowledgeable of my progress?

I am frustrated, because I am obviously showing an interest in making sure that I eliminate concerns about myself as a teacher, but am told that there isn't time to discuss this and that basically, my vice principals can record anything they want on me, even if it's nonsense.

So that is the silliness of adults in education sometimes. Please beware of it as a new teacher. I know that I want to continue to teach, but I cannot do it at this school where I am being targeted and not supported whatsoever.

I hope that all teachers will one day work in supportive environments where the higher ups realize that teachers are often not the problem. We're not the enemy. We are working the trenches to the best of our ability and it is simply not acceptable for a school leader to say, "Well, you knew that teaching was hard and you still signed up for it, so deal with it." (This is not an actual quote from my administrators, though two have said something very close to this before.) These are the sentiments given to us teachers. What the higher ups should be saying is: "We know you're doing an immensely difficult job. What can we put in place to support you to make sure that you are doing this difficult job in the best way possible for you and the students?"

Haven't you heard? Effective teachers are the single most influential in-school factor that increases student achievement. Treat us better. I'm not a rockstar or the president, but I am a person working every single day to positively influence young minds.

Oh, support... Only in my dreams! Or at a KIPP school...

8 comments:

  1. You shouldn't have to do this, but have you considered documenting your arrival every morning with a phone or digatal photo. You could do it next to a school landmark - time clock, sign, student if they are around - and the time stamp would confirm when you arrived. If you did it consistently they wouldn't argue with potential fraud - why would someone take 10's or 100's of pictures of themself?

    It's obvious you just want to teach the kids. It does seem bureaucracy always gets in the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to be mean, but you should be late almost never.

    I understand that life happens, but you have to make being at your job on time a priority, the kids model what they see. If you are late to work and late to class, you are setting an example for them that is not positive.

    I can't speak to your teaching ability, although you seem very devoted to teaching, which is a start. However, I have to say that your casual attitude towards being to work on time would really piss me off if I were your co-teacher or your administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @risingaphroditenyc, I have thought of doing something like that before. I started keeping a log of arrival times, but I thought that it wouldn't stand up against any allegations of being late. Taking pictures would definitely be better. Thanks for your comment :) I appreciate it!

    @jeremy, I don't think your comment is mean at all! I appreciate your honest opinion. I, too, think that it is important to be timely. I hate that I am sometimes late and I certainly didn't mean to come across as "oh, being late is no big deal." I have no problem on being called out as being late sometimes, but as I said in the post, more than a few teachers are often later than me, later than duty time and late to co-teaching, but to my knowledge, they haven't been talked to/yelled at about this. Most of all, I don't think I'm a terrible enough employee to be told that I need to find another job based on the observations someone makes from a window... But, really, thank you for your input :) and thank you for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is probably going to sound really like, crazy, as it will probably be viewed as comparing apples and oranges, but whatever... I am a teacher, teaching English, to Japanese students in Chiba prefecture for the last 5 years. This area is somewhat "backwards", and that is being euphemistic. I actually get notes from students' parents asking me to let them be absent from English class b/c their grandfather died during the war and they don't trust foreigners and other such nonsense, which is just racism and zenophobia. As a result of this sort of backwardness, most of the students at the junior high level, where I teach, have problems with even the most basic of basic concepts concerning English. Many of the students sleep, leave the class or even fight. Motivation can be REALLY hard to find. But with this said, I have made "arrival" to school into a "competition". I got some crap about my arrival times too from administrators. My duty time was 8:00am and I was in general arriving at 7:30am. So I started arriving at 7:00 am instead. At this point I stop getting crap from the adminstrators but starting getting crap from my co-teachers who expected me even earlier so that I could "communicate" lesson plans with them more thoroughly. So, I started, and I know this sounds crazy, at 5am. It was actually so early that it scared some of the adminstrators and teachers. Sometimes the building would even still be locked up. So I would run around the track and do exercising. I have NEVER been reproached on ANY subject since I have started doing this. Now, all other teachers refer to me as the "crazy teacher who lives at school" and some other junk[sorry for all the words like crap and junk but it fits my mood right now]. But, when it comes to issues of "communication" "timeliness" and "lesson prep", administrators and other teachers don't EVEN DARE!!!!

    Oh, and btw, even though I am so crazy early to school and sit at my desk ready to "communicate" ideas with my co-teacher superiors, it is interesting that they prefer to be left alone to "get ready for their day" Which basically goes to show you, a lot of the crap adults complain about with regards to their co-workers is total B.S. and is just a way for them to vent their vitriol and self-medicate their angry souls...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You seem sincere and dedicated, but you can NEVER be late as a teacher. I'm sure your principal is thinking, how will this person ever be responsible enough to have their own class if they are rolling in 5 minutes late?

    9am is a very late start time for any kind of school, you should be there everyday by 8am, even if you're just reading the paper. Seriously, being on time is not negotiable when you're working in a school. Period.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so appreciate your honesty in your blogs. I'm a brand new teaching fellow that'll start teaching this coming August, and your posts have helped me tremendously in so many ways. I appreciate that you blog about the stuff that you don't learn in the books during Summer Insitute - the real life, everyday stuff like what you mentioned above. Please know that your sharing experiences like this helps those of us who are just beginning so much.

    Just as a thought to your post:
    When I worked as a teaching assistant a few years ago, we were required to stop by the main office each day upon arrival and sign in w/a log that they had there, and that helped us (and administration) keep track of our true arriving time. The school secretary was there to witness your time in, so that helped (the log was on her desk). If your school doesn't use something like this, would it maybe help for you to make a habit of stopping by the main office on your way in anyway, so that the secretary/offics staff can have a general idea of what time you typically arrive? Since the AP is using such unorthodox methods to say you're late when you really aren't, I'm thinking it could help to have other, objective people be able to vouch for your true arrival times, just in case, you know? Hope everything works out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Russell: Oh my goodness. I love that you arrive 3 hours before duty time!! That really puts a stop to any comments on your dedication, timeliness or willingness to collaborate. I'm not particularly a morning person, though, and I can't imagine getting to school at 6 in the morning everyday - I need the sun to be up before I am! :) I appreciate your thoughts though, because sometimes it's hard to imagine that schools other than mine and those in PG County have problems too. And, I totally agree with your last statement. People are just trying to start stuff. Working in a middle/high school can make people act that age! Thanks for reading! :) Hope things are recovering in Japan.

    @Title 1 Soccer Mom: Thank you for reading and for your comment. I agree with you about needing to be on time and I have been working really hard to get there at least 45 minutes earlier. (The late start is nice, but it affords me the time to do other things not at school and then that might cause me to be arriving after 9 am.) Regardless of when I do arrive though... I'm usually earlier than my own principal/admin team!

    @Hephzibah.Isaiah.62: I'm so glad that someone enjoys reading my blog! :) Thank you for the input on going by the office to sign in. We don't have a system like that, with the times, though we have a log just to initial that you are there that day. I have been making a habit of making sure that people "see" me in the morning, though it's kind of annoying as there are more important things to be done! But, at this point, totally necessary.

    Also, I don't want to totally hate on the Summer Institute stuff... it'd make sense and work in a suburban school, perhaps. But teaching fellows is about preparing us for urban schools and the only thing they get right is that our kids are behind grade level. This past week in a seminar class I'm taking, the scenario was talking about a student 2 grade levels behind on an area of math. My students are all about 4 or 5 years behind on pretty much all areas of all subjects! Summer Institute also tends to blame previous teachers for not working hard enough on the kids you'll get, but when you're their teacher, you realize that it's not really completely the previous teachers' fault. Teaching is just one of those things you can't learn from a book and it's almost a bit silly that teaching fellows relies so much on studying text and scenarios over real experiences. Nonetheless, you will get the experiences sooner or later! I wish you BEST OF LUCK!! It's a fun and crazy experience, but certainly one I don't regret taking.

    Thank you, everyone, for your advice and comments. Over the next 7 weeks, I just want to focus on preparing my kids for high school and doing my best. ...and finding another job, if necessary, because I want to continue teacher for many years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You seem a very sincere and caring teacher but, the plain fact is, you need to be on time for school and for duty. It does not matter what the other teachers do. Think about this excuse and think what you would say if one of your students said "the other kids all do it." All of us have arrived late at one time or another but, but "sometimes" implies more than one or two times - "sometimes" implies more than several. It is frustrating to be on duty with teachers who are late for their duty (at my school we have one who arrives for duty 5 to 10 minutes into duty and leaves right on time regardless whether the students are where they are supposed to be or not). Be on time for duty, be on time for school. If you find navigating 95 difficult then leave earlier for school - the worst that could happen is you have extra time that morning to get things done. Timeliness is part of your professional reputation and you should not fudge on it or make excuses for it.

    ReplyDelete