Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Battle Surges on... DCTF vs. PGCTF

DCTF: (from what I understand)
  • DCPS is undergoing major reform with a lot of terminations involved. The system is quite disorganized and convoluted. Sometimes, pay checks are late and the teacher's union is unhelpful.
  • The pay is worse and so are the schools.
  • The minimum commitment is one year.
  • Fellows pay $3,000 toward their certification through DC's Professional Teacher Practitioner Program.
  • Housing is more expensive.
  • DCTF seems very supportive - they hold Praxis workshops and help you navigate your way to your decision.
  • (& I would have taught HSA biology here.)

PGCTF:
  • PGCPS is a pretty good school system with far less problems than DCPS but they are also undergoing reform and are very, very test and assessment heavy.
  • The pay is better and so are the schools (though not that much better).
  • The minimum commitment is two years.
  • Fellows pay $3,000 toward their certification through Maryland's Professional Teacher Practitioner Program; Special Ed. Fellows pay $5,000.
  • Housing is slightly less expensive.
  • PGCTF program coordinators are there for you: very responsive and helpful, which I love.
  • (& I would have to teach math or biology in an inclusion setting so I would get Special Ed. certified - which I hear is a high need area.)
Both TF's:
Allow fellows to voluntarily pursue a Master's at American University after the first year (~twelve credits).

2 comments:

  1. I wouldn't do DCTF over again if given the opportunity. I've loved teaching and getting the degree was nice but you have no idea yet how much weight you need to be giving to that first bullet point for DC. The turmoil and disorganization will wear you out much much much faster than the other struggles of being a new teacher. You don't realize how much those terminations can actually impact you even if you're not the one fired. Plus all of the rest of the just complete idiocy that runs rampant in the system. If I could go back two years and do it again I would have started my teaching career ANYWHERE BESIDES DC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Kathryn! I've been thinking that I would regret being in DCTF many times my first year. Do you think it gets better as you grow more seasoned?

    ReplyDelete