Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Many Things...

A quick rambling of thoughts appropriate for 2 am on a school night:

1. Is it possible...? I could be a good teacher...? I'm sitting here planning my science lessons for the week and yes, I think it's possible! I feel very upbeat and into the activities we'll be doing. I also am having a lot of fun with our unit (waves). While math is certainly "easier" to teach (because of less prep, although maybe a good math lesson requires a lot of prep), I can't be enthused about it like I can science. Science was my favorite subject growing up, I majored in it, I wanted to be a doctor. Science, I love you and you are so much more fun than math. Please, PGCPS admin, let me teach only science next year. I really think I can do a good job in this area.

2. I met up with some fellow Fellows today for an event paid for by our non-existent program. People who used to be the inspiration of our group are a bit jaded now and that's sad to see :( But totally understandable. If there's any doubt - let me clear it up. This is an extraordinary group of people (and no one's dropped out yet!!). We will all make extraordinary teachers... somewhere else. Which is sad to think, because PGCPS needs us... clearly. But with their lack of infrastructure and communication, we've got to GET OUT of here before the system collapses and traps us under the rubble. It's not even a metaphor, some of the buildings might actually collapse on us.

3. I love teaching. I love working with students. But I don't know how long I can handle a job that follows me like it's my shadow. At school. At home. At social events. It's calling me, "There's still work to do!!" I fall asleep with papers all over my bed. I fall asleep thinking about school. I fall asleep due to lack of sleep from planning, grading, dealing with daily duties... I love that I have the rare opportunity to touch so many important lives. But, gosh, aren't there any less demanding jobs with just as much as importance? I just want my job to stop following me home sometimes! I hope that as the years go on, it will learn to stay at school. I really don't want to abandon this career; it is still very important to me, despite my learning of the darkness that is our public school system, especially amidst high-achieving school systems.

4. I don't find my education that incredible. According to the rest of the U.S., though, I am a product of a great school system. (And I not only won't argue that, I will toot that MCPS horn... toot, toot, we are awesome.) I just wonder though, if my schooling is considered exceptional, or at least my school district, as I didn't go to one of the more "elite" schools, what the heck is going on in the less awesome schools districts?! Oh, my.

5. Last note - I'm getting better at lesson planning, though it is still slow. Haven't gotten to math yet, but science is done for the week :) Yeah, science!

Thanks for reading :) Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment