Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Compare & Contrast: PGCPS and MCPS

Ever since starting my new position in MCPS at the end of August, I've been mentally noting all the differences between PGCPS and MCPS. While the differences are the most striking, of course there's also similarities between the two. Below are just some of my notes!

Interview Process

("Interview" for PGCPS.) When I was interviewed in PGCPS, I was asked zero questions and asked the principal two questions. It was also a group interview, and none of us got asked any questions.

When I was interviewed in MCPS, I received a sheet of five or six questions and I was interviewed by the principal, two assistant principals, and the department chair. This to me shows that the principal of the school makes decisions with others' opinions in mind and that s/he trusts his/her staff. I was also able to ask a lot of questions myself.

Both interview processes were pretty casual.

Being Hired

I was ecstatic to be hired in both situations (employment > unemployment), but there was a remarkable difference of others' reaction in my hiring/acceptance of the position.

In MCPS, the principal, the department chair, the front office secretaries, and the principal's secretary all told me that they were so excited that I was joining the team and that they were so happy that I was choosing to come to their school.

No such reaction from PGCPS, but in all fairness, as a fellow, you kind of accept the first job offer so it's not like you have other choices and are "choosing" that school.

Service Week

The first day of service week in MCPS, the school support staff and admin had set out a breakfast for teachers. At least five teachers approached me during the first thirty minutes of breakfast to welcome me to the school and introduce themselves. While this was happening, everyone else around me was greeting each other and catching up on what they did over the summer. My first thought was, "Why is everybody hugging each other?"

In PGCPS, not just during service week, it doesn't really seem like people like each other all that much. Teachers generally stick to their departments and there are clear cliques. So far this week, I have sat with a different group of people during every meeting and it seems that most people spread out as well.

Also, we've had a schedule of events and for the most part, we've really stuck to it. I honestly feel that the staff at my school are respectful of others' time. I haven't always felt that way in PGCPS.

What really strikes me the most, and this might just be my department, but a good amount of people in the department are really trying to help out the newbies. They meet with us, keep up with emails, answer questions... it feels like we are really working as a team. There's seven biology teachers, and three of us are new, which I like, because we're all very enthused about what we're about to embark on.

Supplies

In PGCPS, I spent my first week cutting butcher paper to cover my bulletin boards and make other wall decorations. We also would get our box of paper that would have to last a semester (first school) or a quarter (second school). In SPED, we all got to get supplies that were ordered with Medicaid money from the previous year. In math, we got some content-related supplies (protractors and compasses), but no pencils, colored pencils, etc. It may be that I should have just asked.

In MCPS, there aren't rolls and rolls of butcher paper :( People don't use it here :( I was shocked, actually, to find out. I've seen teachers cover their boards with fabric or construction paper. Personally, in my lab room, I only have one bulletin board. The rest is cabinets or empty wall space, but it's hard to get much to stick to the cinderblock walls. Though I was sad about the lack of butcher paper, we do have unlimited copies at MCPS. We don't have to log in to print and we don't bring our own paper. I got some supplies from the business manager so far, but I mostly brought all my stuff in, from prior experience. AND THERE ARE STAPLES IN THE COPY MACHINE! It seems like such a minute detail, but stapling 100+ packets together can be time consuming.

...more to come as I wrap up this week and then the next!

2 comments:

  1. quite an interesting comparison. question - while being interviewed for PGCPS, were you asked to complete a drug test? As a parent, I've always wondered if
    it is a requirement in this area or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I've never heard about anyone having to take a drug test during the hiring process for PGCPS. It should probably be a requirement for teachers to be, in any district, but unfortunately, it's not. Thanks for reading! :)

    ReplyDelete